- Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity! Psalm 133:1
- They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers. Acts 1:14
- They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42
- So Peter was kept in prison, but the church was earnestly praying to God for him. Acts 12:5 (read whole passage)
- I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Romans 15:30.
Friday, September 15, 2023
Friday, June 16, 2023
Recently I read a devotional about the importance of sleep. You can read it here.
Reflecting on this devotional, about the importance of rest, brought a realization that whilst we need to ensure we work and meet our obligations and commitments unless we are well rested and refreshed, our ability to do all we've committed to will be comprised.
After so many years of running on almost empty, health and the ability to rest well becomes compromised. Once this occurs, it is difficult to maintain keeping up with commitments, resentment can occur, and work performance and health are impaired.
Psalm 3:5 says, "I lie down and sleep; I wake again because the Lord sustains me."
What are some ways we can ensure we are having adequate rest?
- Say No. There are times when we need to say no. Without refreshment, we cannot fulfill the commitments made. So, review your commitments to helping others, and do a few well, instead of having resentment trying to do many. Be polite in declining requests and be prayerful about what you are to do and what you are not to do.
- Mark your diary by planning time out. Block sections of your diary out, even on the occasional Saturday! Take this time to rest, to do something different with the family. For example, you might like to visit a new attraction, or take a family drive, or have a picnic.
- Spend time reading the Bible and praying. Exodus 33:14 tells us, The Lord replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” Taking time out to be in the Lord's presence and resting in him helps us to (a) draw closer to the Lord and know him better, (b) not worry so much because we are assured in him, (c) we can be rested and refreshed in his presence.
Friday, May 26, 2023
Recently, I was
reading some notes taken from a Sunday Church service.
One of the notes I took caught my attention:
“There is an ever-increasing demand on us to meet
people’s needs and demands. We also place expectations on ourselves. We put
ourselves under pressure thinking others have expectations of us. We feel that
we're underproductive if we aren't busy. We forget to stop and
Wow! Then I read further down my notes to find, “We have to
be careful with our busyness. There's a
tension in our busyness. We have
families, work, and life”.
Again, ‘wake-up call’ to me!
What is sacrificed when we become too busy?
Church on Sunday?
How do we manage
expectations? Our expectations and the expectations of others?
Philippians 1:1-11 especially verses 9 and 10, which reads,
“And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in knowledge
and all discernment, that you may approve the things that are excellent, that
you may be sincere and without offense till the day of Christ.” (NKJV)
Being discerning in what we agree to take on, plan out our day/week
to intentionally include relationships, Bible study, and prayer. Choose to commit to Sunday worship and praying
with fellow Christians.
Reflect on where you are situated in your ‘to-do’ lists. Do you need to give up something, and be more intentional in other areas of your life?
Do you see your business or job solely as a means of generating income, or do you view it as a pursuit of your passion? This is a critical...
Roundtable: How can your organization improve productivity and staff inclusion? (Being open to ideas from staff)As a leader within your organization, you must encourage and enable ideas from your staff or team. As your team collaborate and discuss pr...
Reflecting on the year we have journeyed through has been one of challenges and change. Change occurs, even when we do all we can to ensure...