How often in an advertisement or position guideline do we read, 'self-management' or 'self-organized'?
Whether you are seeking paid or volunteer roles, there are usually position descriptions and guidelines produced so people can read and understand what the position requires and the desired outcomes.
So firstly, let's address what is self-mangement?
A dictionary definition of management is "the act or manner of managing; handling, direction, or control."
So self-management is basically your ability to manage, handle, or control your own work and be productive without relying completely on others to achieve a desired outcome.
There are those who dislike the term self-management because they are accountable for their actions, and decisions and ensuring their workflow is productive. Work is just a source of income, and little enthusiasm to upskill and grow in their role is shown.
Personally, I enjoy self-managing my day and workflow. Knowing that people can rely on me to provide communication, information, and research, ensuring deadlines and outcomes are achieved in a timely manner, is very fulfilling. Self-management requires a person to be highly organized, and dependable and monitor themselves, and their team if they have one, to ensure high-quality productivity and outcomes.
Taking time to prepare and consider each job undertaken is important. Setting goals such as timeframes for research, approvals, communication dissemination, scheduling, and deadlines may seem paralyzing for some, however, I have found it exciting and a great routine to include in your daily activities.
Self-management is not just for those in paid or volunteer roles. This can be incorporated into daily life. We all self-manage at some level. How?
- arranging medical, dental, hairdresser, and mechanical appointments.
- arranging meetings with educators, and financial and legal representatives.
- researching appliances, diets, medical aids, and educational institutions.
- budgeting and payment of household accounts.
- purchasing groceries, ensuring your vehicle has fuel, and regular maintenance.
- Checking and updating the family calendar so that everyone is where they need to be at any given date/time.
How do you self-manage?